As the murder mystery host, it’s your job to introduce the theme to the guests, kick off the investigation, and eventually announce who committed the murder.
Don’t worry, we have all of your important lines written out on the Whodunnit App/ You just focus on making sure you and your guests have a good time! Whodunnit mysteries are designed for the host to participate in the Party, so even though you’ll be coordinating the whole thing, you still get to take a stab at solving the murder!
BEFORE THE PARTY:
1. Download the Whodunnit App and register to play.
2. Decide on a mystery theme and download it to your device.
3. Download character packs if you have more guests than the theme’s default number.
4. Set a place, date, and time for the murder mystery dinner party. You’ll need about two or three hours.
5. Choose “Host a Party”, followed by a “Theme”.
6. Add event details, time and date, and location. Tap on "Create Game".
7. Assign characters to your guests. Simply read the character bio to best match a friend by tapping "Share Code" to send through text, email, etc. Have a guest playing without a smartphone? Purchase a PDF.
8. Pull to refresh. A checkmark will appear next to the character when a guest has entered their code. Tap 'PLAY' to see your own character info. (If playing with PDFS, a checkmark will not be necessary).
9. Decorate your location to make the mystery come alive! Don’t forget to Tweet us your pics @WhodunnitApp.
10. Don’t forget to prepare for your role! Read the information about your character to understand their motivation and why they might be the murderer. Get your costume together, some suggestions are included in the Whodunnit App.
NOTE: Do not unlock any cards until the fateful night. Don’t read the Introduction, Announcement, Investigation, and Conclusion. Reading ahead will only spoil the mystery.
WHEN YOUR GUEST ARRIVE
When the guests arrive, it’s a good idea to gather everyone to introduce themselves to the group, sharing their names and perhaps one or two background details.
Once introductions are made, head over to Round One and select «Introduction» and unlock the «Secrets & Objectives» cards from your device. You can let guests with PDF read the Secrets & Objectives page.
Read the card marked «Introduction» to the room. This will get the party started! Don’t forget to unlock the «Secrets & Objectives» cards.
MIDDLE OF THE PARTY: Best to serve food after unlocking "Secrets & Objectives"
1. Allow 30-45 minutes for the guests to mingle and complete their objectives. Don’t forget to complete your own objectives!
2. Set up a phone to record a video in a separate room. Have guests enter the room alone and announce whom they think will die tonight; here's an example, "Hello, my name is (Character's Name), and I think (Character's Name), will die tonight!" If playing virtually, have guests record from their own devices or record one by one in a breakout room. Don't forget to post your video on TikTok or IG Reels with #WhodunnitApp and tag @WhodunnitApp.
3. When you think everyone’s ready. Head over to Round Two and tap on «Announcement» and unlock the «Death Card». (Some) Guest will have specific instructions to follow. If a guest has a pdf version have them read the death card page.
4. Wait for confirmation from the victim. The Victim will secretly unlock your card. The card marked «Announcement» will then unlock. Gather the group together. If a guest has a pdf version of the victim, the victim will share on how to continue the story by having you read from the page. Playing virtually? Guests can copy and paste and send you a private message.
5. Read the announcement card. By the time you finish reading it, the victim will fall to the ground, dead! If they don’t, gently encourage them by saying something like «Oh no! Someone is dying!» (If nobody falls to the floor, move on to the card «Investigation» in Round Three to find out who dies.) Don’t forget to unlock the «After the Murder» Objectives. Have guests with pdf ready their Objectives.
END OF THE PARTY: Best to serve desserts or coffee after unlocking "After the Murder"
1. Allow another 30-45 minutes for the guests to complete their After the Murder objectives.
2. Video Diaries. Set up a phone to record in a room. One by one have guests enter the room to vote on the video and say, "Hello, my name is (Character's Name), and I think (Character's Name), committed the murder!" If playing virtually, have guests record from their own devices or record one by one in a breakout room. Don't forget to post your video on TikTok or IG Reels with #WhodunnitApp and tag @WhodunnitApp.
Avoid posting spoilers of who actually committed the murder 🤫
3. Make an informal announcement for everyone to vote on whom they think the murderer is via the Whodunnit App. They can also vote on guest awards (Best Actor, Best Dressed, etc.) The results will be displayed on your device. If playing with PDFs, have guests vote on a sheet of paper and tally up the votes.
4. Read the card marked «Conclusion».
5. Congrats on a party well-hosted!